Did You Know?
- The number of deaths from cardiovascular disease (CVD) in Allegheny County are higher than those of PA and the U.S. as whole
- High blood pressure is one of the leading risk factors of CVD
- Modest increases in high blood pressure are linked to higher risk of death, including heart failure among African Americans
- Every 10-point drop in systolic blood pressure can decrease the risk of CVD and stroke by 30-50%
- Having a lower blood pressure can also help reduce the risk for other chronic diseases
The American Heart Association (AHA) and Live Well Allegheny partnered for the first Challenge: BP. We are recruiting communities and workplaces to work together in order to lower rates of high blood pressure in our county. Our goal is for all Challenge: BP participants to lower blood pressure by 10mmHg on average.
Here’s How to Participate:
Organization or Workplace
- Identify a Challenge: BP Champion in your workplace or community
- Select the AHA blood pressure program that is right for your organization with guidance from the AHA Community Health Consultant (Workplace Health Solutions or Check.Change.Control).
- Once you sign up for a blood pressure program, we will provide the tools, training, and resources for implementation.
- Check your blood pressure at any Giant Eagle pharmacy blood pressure machine and enroll in their free Blood Pressure Management Program.
- Check your blood pressure twice a month; Change to healthier habits; Control your blood pressure!
- Stay connected to learn what additional resources and things you can do to manage your blood pressure. #ChallengeBP, #LWA, #howdoyoulivewell, #AHAPGH