October 25, 2016
PITTSBURGH – The Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) today announced Cigna, a global health services company with offices in Pittsburgh, is the newest Live Well Allegheny Workplace. Dr. Shadrach Jones, Medical Director at Cigna, accepted the designation at the Cigna Healthcare Center in Robinson Township.
“I’m thrilled to have Cigna join our effort to become the healthiest county through the Live Well Allegheny initiative,” said County Executive Rich Fitzgerald. “As more and more organizations, companies, municipalities and school districts become part of this campaign, we also see more and more commitments from individuals who want to be healthier and live healthier. Together, we continue to have a significant impact on the health of our community.”
The announcement took place today at the Cigna Employee Health Fair. There were informational sessions discussing a variety of ways for employees to manage their health. The sessions included speakers on the employee assistance program, health coaches and dieticians.
“Live Well Allegheny aims to help people gain the tools needed to incorporate healthy habits in all aspects of their lives,” said Dr. Karen Hacker, Director of the Allegheny County Health Department. “I commend Cigna for implementing programs to help their employees be healthy and productive.”
To be designated as a Live Well Allegheny Workplace, Cigna has committed to the following action steps to support the health and wellness of its employees:
- The organization is providing a smoke-free environment both indoors and outdoors on all US based Cigna Premises and during all company sponsored events; Cigna Quit Today© is a tobacco cessation program available free to all employees.
- Employees are encouraged to use preventative care services, including annual physicals and biometric screening options, by being provided incentives.
- Incentive programs for Healthy Weight and Healthy Blood Pressure offered to all employees and their family members.
- In addition to online and telephonic health coaching, the provision in 2016 of an onsite health coach for employees.
- Health food options are provided at the organization’s on-site cafeteria as well as in company vending machines and health snack options during company meetings.
“Cigna’s investment in the Pittsburgh region starts with our employees. Our focus on the health and wellness of our employees has shown to help our workforce stay healthier, more productive, and better engaged to meet or exceed the needs of our customers,” said Julia Huggins, Cigna president for Pennsylvania.
Participants in the Live Well Allegheny campaign work with Health Department’s staff. While monetary resources are not part of the initiative, participating workplaces can receive materials, information and collateral items to promote the campaign and their individual efforts to live well.
Live Well Allegheny was launched in January 2014 as a comprehensive, innovative strategy on wellness that embraces a broad concept of living well to include physical health, mental wellness, personal and community safety, prevention and preparedness, and much more. The effort is being led by the Board of Health and Health Department Director Dr. Karen Hacker.
As an employer, Cigna is committed to diversity and offers an array of employee benefits including health, dental and disability insurance. Active in the community, Cigna employees established the Pittsburgh chapter of Achilles International with more than 300 volunteers and athletes with disabilities. Cigna has also been a national title sponsor of the March of Dimes. More than 650 Cigna employees participate in the annual Pittsburgh walk and Run for Babies 5K.